Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The “Decision”: My conversion to peasantry under the fandom of Lebron “King” James

-By Kyle Kenny




Having watched Lebron James finally obtaining that elusive championship caused me a little reflection. I’m generally a fan of the underdog. I actually rooted for Oklahoma City this tournament and rooted for the Dallas Mavericks last tournament, but I do find myself with some exceptions. I cheered for Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts when they won their first Superbowl under Manning, even though they averaged as an 11-14 win team over a 10+ year stretch. I cheered on Italy to win their fourth World Cup title (I lived in Italy for 3 ½ years). I cheered for the Boston Celtics (because the only team left against them was the LA Lakers). But Lebron James is a tough one to pin. Most people I know absolutely hate him, for many reasons. He’s too immature, he sold out, he betrayed his city, he thinks he is the best, etc.


Now that Lebron has won, I did a little contemplating in lieu of working. And I decided that I am converting to Lebronism. Here’s why.

The “King” –

People have a problem with this self-proclamation. Last I remembered, EGO was an inseparable trait to being a professional athlete with few exceptions (e.g. Tim Duncan). Lebron James comes out the door of High School basketball and proclaims himself the “King.” That’s great. Shouldn’t everyone go out there and believe they’re the best? This news is about as offensive as Earvin Johnson calling himself “Magic,” Julius Erving as “Dr. J,” because that literally was what the Doctor ordered (did we ask all the doctors in the world to confirm this?), Karl Malone as the “Mailman,” because he always delivered it home to your door, every time, without fail (just like three failed finals), or most famously, me proclaiming myself as “MacGyver” because I will always get out of any hairy situation in a good game of Halo or Counterstrike. Yes, Mark Mills, ALWAYS. So Lebron is “The King.” Who are you, Lieutenant Dan? General Mills? I think I’ve made my point.

The “Decision” –

We live in a world where once a spotlight shines on a person, that person automatically must be the poster child of responsibility and smart actions. We fail to factor in more rational thoughts like “What would I expect some kid in his 20s to do?” or, “Would I make that same mistake if I had a spotlight on me 24/7?” or maybe “What is the best ways and means to progress my career?”

The “Decision” was a great idea, but a terrible way of delivery.
First, this isn’t a democracy here. Why pile an absurd amount of hatred on a guy who is just trying to further his career? He gave seven years to the Cavaliers organization to help surround him with the right type of talent to get him past other powerhouses in the NBA, namely the LA Lakers, San Antonio Spurs, and the Boston Celtics, two of which teams have been working hard at buying championships during this period. I try to compare this to my own career as an accountant. Could I patiently be a superstar at my job for seven years waiting to get paid the amount I feel I deserve? Or maybe a better analogy, can I work seven years in a job where my boss surrounds me with losers which otherwise dwarfs the amount of achievement I could have potentially fulfilled in my job, or destroys my desire to do my best when the outcome will always fall short and be unrecognized? I only went three years in my first job before “selling out.” Few tears have been shed and lost from this “Decision.”

Which one of you, all who are pathetic enough to still be reading this article, would be actively looking to move on from your job, if you knew leaving would greatly improve your chances to get paid better, enjoy a higher quality of life, or reignite your passion for your long term career achievement? I think we’re now on the same wavelength with Lebron James, because deep down, EVERY ONE OF US IS LEBRON JAMES! AUH!

Second, the delivery of the “Decision” was admittedly terrible. But in general I assume most celebrities have or will make a plethora of stupid mistakes like this and worse. Lebron doesn’t need forgiveness (especially from us peasants, the armchair coaches and commentators). But if he did need it, I would judge his actions against his other poor decision-making, celebrity peers. My most favorite comparison is against Kobe Bryant. Kobe is an alleged rapist. Period. And yet, with the help of a hired public image manager, these kinds of egregious offenses can be wiped away like a dryerase marker. In comparison, Lebron is an angel, especially off the court. To have so many people hate him for such pathetically small offenses, or for something that everyone else already does (e.g. sell out to the big market team), I really have fears that a public image manager couldn’t save Lebron because there is nothing he has done wrong to begin with!

Selling out. Buying a Championship –

Oh yes, Lebron did sell out, but tell me someone who hasn’t turned away from their small market team? Carmelo Anthony, Chris Paul, Shaquille Oneal, Future Dwight Howard? How come these guys don’t get the negativity? Isn’t this the world the NBA has created for itself: Only big market teams can and should win?
The definitive moment of my conversion came a few days ago. The talking heads at ESPN, both the ones I like (Mike Wilbon, Tony Kornheiser, etc.) and the ones I hate (Stephen A. Smith), are all asking, “Can we argue that when Lebron retires, he may end up going down as the best player to have ever played the game, even above Michael Jordan?” Usurping Jordan’s throne. This lone question, and hope, has pushed me over the hump and helped me come to terms with selling out. I can handle rooting for the guy if the objective is to top Michael Jordan.

No comments:

Post a Comment