Monday, October 11, 2010

5 football thoughts

1. BYU can still make a bowl game

To be bowl eligible a team has to win 50% of its games. BYU has already lost 4 games. Assuming they lose to TCU (4th) and Utah (11th) they would have to win every other game this season. However, the rest of the schedule is not exactly daunting: Wyoming (2-4), UNLV (1-5), CSU (1-5), and New Mexico (0-6). Assuming BYU makes and plays in a bowl game they would likely play some small team from a weak conference... BYU could have a 7 win season.

2. A BCS disaster would be better than a national championship

BSU, TCU, OSU, Oregon, LSU, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Missouri, Oklahoma State, Michigan State, Utah, Auburn, and Nevada are all currently undefeated. I don’t see anyone knocking off BSU, TCU, OSU, or Oregon. Throw in an undefeated Big 12 team, and a 0 or 1 loss SEC team and we could have 6 teams, all of which could legitimately claim they have the right to play for a national title.

Now imagine this possible scenario. BSU, TCU, OSU, Oregon, Nebraska, and MSU, all finish undefeated. Oklahoma’s only loss is in the Big 12 championship game to Nebraska, and LSU’s only loss is to Alabama who wins the SEC. Because the ACC and the Big East get automatic bids. 2 teams out of from BSU (#3), TCU (#4), or MSU (#13) Oklahoma(#6) or LSU (#9) would not get to play in a BCS Bowl game while the big east champion west Virginia (#25) and the ACC champion FSU (#16) do.

Two or more teams are going to get hosed. The more people who are angry at the current system the better shot we have at getting som sort of playoff. Whereas if BSU plays in the national championship the BCS lovers are going to claim that the system works. Worse still, if BSU loses to a good Ohio St. team the BCS lovers are going to say that no mid-major deserves to play for a national championship again.

3. The NFC West quarterbacks are awful

This morning I was calling for Alex Smith’s head on Mike Sando’s (an ESPN blogger) Facebook page when an Arizona fan teased me about wanting to get a new QB. My immediate response was to bash Max Hall, and that’s when I realized how bad the QBs in the entire division are.

Name/QB Rating/TDs/INTs
Smith / 71.6 / 6 / 9
Hasselback / 70.7 / 4 / 6
Bradford / 66.5 / 6 / 8
Hall / 60.5 / 0 / 2


To provide some context, amongst starting quarterbacks only Jimmy Clausen, Brett Favre, and Bruce Gradkowski, have worse QB ratings than the highest rated NFC west QB.

4. Max Hall is a winner

I have never liked Max Hall. His arm is weak and everyone I know who has met him as left with a bad taste in their mouth. But you have to give credit where credit is due. Not only did Max Hall become BYU’s all-time winningnest quarterback, but in his first NFL start he beat the defending Super Bowl champions.

5. The 49ers suck but will finish the season better than the Broncos

The 49ers are bad. They are 0-5. However, they have lost 3 out of their 5 games during the last minute to playoff caliber teams. Their remaining schedule is fairly easy. They can still win 6 to 8 games this year.

The Broncos are also bad. They are 2-3. Their remaining schedule is tougher. They will win 4-5 more games this year. Thus, I reason if the 49ers beat the Broncos during week 8, the 49ers will finish the season with a better record.

Perhaps I’m delusional. However, every Bronco fan I have ever met believes they will win the Super Bowl every year...I'm in good company.

6 comments:

  1. You had to know I would comment on point 5. Broncos fans are always good company, and yes we do believe that we will win the super bowl every year. I'm honestly not expecting that, but playoffs are a lot more realistic for the Broncos than the 49ers. Orton has the second most passing yards with a bunch of good young receivers. San Diego and KC are dramatically overrated, Raiders are bad again, and we haven't played any of them yet. We still have the most of the NFC west, which from your stats are pretty pathetic. I don't think the saints are any good, considering who they've barely beat this year, which makes Arizona's win considerably less impressive.

    Colts and the Ravens are good teams, and the Broncos never win in Florida especially in the first week. I'll take my 2-3 Broncos to win out any day over a 0-5 49ers team. Plus you guys lose a home game with the London game against the Broncos.

    My real feelings on the season though are that the Broncos can beat any team in the league and lose to any team in the league depending on the week, but I'm somewhat confident that we'll take the division.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha.. Ok. With Max Hall I'll give him credit that his overconfidence is NOT his weakness (that's right, Darth Vader), but actually got him the job. It helps not just yourself but everyone around you to have that confident winning attitude. Philip Rivers has that same attitude. The only difference is that Philip Rivers has the skills to back up his confidence. Max Hall didn't win vs. the Saints, the AZ defense and special teams did that. Not a single offensive TD was scored, unless you count the fumble recovery by the Guard in the end zone. Pure stroke of luck. Despite his patheticness, I think Max Hall will improve, but his ceiling will be painfully below what the AZ coaching staff are setting their expectations to. GG to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex Smith: I think he can do better as long as Mike Singletary can dangle Dave Carr in front of his face and keep that sense of urgency alive. He almost seems like the kind of guy who gets sucked into a false sense of security when nothing is on the line. He did great the first drive last game then underperformed the rest of the game until Singletary chewed his ear off and threatened to give in to mob rule, then he threw two more touchdowns and was near perfect in efficiency. The last play was picked but it was kind of a desperation throw. I think he may still surprise. Since I'm already wrong about him on the year it's not like I have anything to lose to still give my vote of confidence to him. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off kill the BCS. This could be the year that at least forces an "and one game" to the mix.

    NFC West is terrible. I really think the winner this year will have a losing record. I am a 49er fan and I hate to admit this, but I agree with Kayce that Denver will end with a better record. Denver is always tough at home and I think Orton is better than most people realize.

    On Sunday night I was watching the 49ers game and I actually felt kind of bad for Alex Smith. I know he gets paid millions and he is a professional, but all the fan booing him and just cheering for Carr. Now having said that I still think Smith is not the future, they need to trade or draft a new QB soon. 49ers will never be a great team with Alex Smith and they should move on, probably after this season. I don't think Carr is the solution.

    I'm not ready to call Max a winner just yet, but I have doubted him for years and he always does better than I think he will. If he can learn not to stare down receivers he could potentially be a mediocre QB in the NFL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unlike Mills I didn't feel bad at all for the 49ers fans booing Smith. If your quarterback is making stupid mistakes then he should be booed. BUT Carr is not the solution... poor 49rs.

    As for the Broncos.. down with them! GO CHARGERS!

    ReplyDelete