Sunday, April 11, 2010

How the West Was Won


In my humble opinion the playoff races are the most exciting aspect of basketball. Sure the NBA playoffs are fun, but so often they consist of pure chalk. But enough of my humble opinions let’s take a deeper look at what is going on in the West.

The One Seed: Lakers

Lakers


The Lakers are the only team in the West whose playoffs seeding is secure. But they are still playing for prides sake. They have been losing right and left. They desperately need to find an identity before the playoffs.

Best: 58 wins - 1st

Worst: 56 wins - 1st

Tough games: no one

Prediction: 58 wins - 1st

The Three way Tie:

My predictions put Dallas, Utah, and Denver all tied at 54 games each. The tie-breakers for 3 teams first looks at whether the teams won their conference. Dallas and Denver will both have won theirs which would bump Utah to 4th place. Next we look at all three teams and their win loss records against each other. Dallas would come out on top.

Dallas


Dallas is in an interesting position. They are actually pulling for Denver to win out. Assuming Denver wins out they get the 2 seed. However if Dallas and the Jazz are tied at 54 and Denver loses a game, then the Jazz own the tie breaker over Dallas and would get the 2 seed. Given that Pop-a-zit has stated on a scale to 1-10 he wants his desire to play the Lakers in the first round is a negative 5, I think the Spurs win.

Best: 55 wins – 2nd

Worst: 53 wins – 5th

Tough games: Spurs

Prediction: 54 wins – 2nd

Denver


I think that Denver will beat the Suns. Frankly I don’t have much confidence in the Suns at all. Denver however has to be careful about an at home trap game against a decent Memphis team. The hardest thing for the Thuggets is going to be able to stay motivated without their ring leader and inspiring coach.

Best: 54 wins – 2nd

Worst: 52 wins – 5th

Tough Games: Phoenix

Prediction: 54 wins - 3rd

Utah


Perhaps my roommates have been spiking the koolaid but I think that the Jazz will win out. The Suns are a scary offensive team, but Utah is an even scarier home team. Boozer and Williams are in a rhythm and look to be near unstoppable offensively. As a Laker fan I am hoping that the Lakers can somehow work their way into 2nd or 3rd or lose their remaining games where they would lose a tie breaker with Oklahoma city. I don’t want to see them in the second round.

Best 54 wins -2nd

Worst 52 wins – 6th

Tough Games: Phoenix

Prediction: 54 wins – 4th

The Overrated: Phoenix

Phoenix


As you might have gathered by now I don’t have confidence in the Suns. They don’t play defense, they are not big, and I just don’t think they are very good. I predict them winning just one more game.

Best: 54 wins -2nd

Worst: 51 wins – 7th

Tough Games: Denver, Jazz, Rockets

Prediction: 52 wins – 5th

The 3 Teams Trying to Avoid the Lakers

Oklahoma city


I love watching this team play. Westbrook and Durant are simply amazing. Durant will overtake Lebron as the best pure scorer in the game. I think they beat the Blazers and win out. Unfortunately I think they are too young to go very far in the playoffs.

Best: 52 wins - 4th

Worst: 49 wins – 8th

Prediction: Blazers

Prediction: 52 wins – 6th

San Antonio


San Antonio has been getting a lot of hype recently. It’s true they have playoff experience, and they have one of the best coaches in the game. Nonetheless, they are about a bjillion years old. But, I still think they win out, they simply will have more to play for than Dallas.

Best: 51 wins -5th

Worst: 49 wins - 8th

Tough Games: Dallas

Prediction: 51 wins - 7th

Portland


Portland might be better than I think. Truth be told I haven’t seen them play much this year. They will be a scary good team if Oden can stay healthy. I also think that the Thunder pose too many matchup problems for the Portland. I think they will get 8th. (I originally had them losing to the Lakers but moments ago the Lakers collapsed under pressure.)

Best: 51 wins - 6th

Worst: 49 wins - 8th

Tough Games: Lakers, Thunder

Prediction: 50 wins -8th

2 comments:

  1. I actually agree with much of your reasoning, but I think the schedule needs to be looked at closely. First off Denver is going to lose their game to the Suns. It's a back to back with the 2nd game away, and the Suns have won 7 straight at home. I think your underestimating the Suns.
    Next off the Jazz play the Suns the night after facing off against Denver which is going to be a battle so they will be drained for the game against Utah. The Jazz should win both of these next two games and will slide in to 3rd place. Dallas is going to win out and then take 2nd place with Denver in the 4th spot and Phoenix in 5th or maybe vice versa whomever has the tie breaker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAaaaahhh! Stupid Jazz ruined my prediction. I still love em'

    ReplyDelete